Palmarosa is not a particularly well known oil, but we sure do love it; it’s great to use in skin care and can be found in several of our favorite skin care products, most notably our Rocky Mountain Recovery Serum which is an anti-aging facial moisturizing serum full of essential fatty acids, anti-oxidants, and active botanicals.
It is great for all skin types, but is especially wonderful for dry skin because of its sebum balancing and hydrating properties. We all could use hydration living here in Colorado! Palmarosa can help also help to regenerate new skin cells.
Palmarosa is also great in aiding digestion that is sluggish and needs a little encouragement to get things moving along. It can also help if someone is experiencing a loss of appetite.
Palmarosa can be added to a bath treatment to reduce stress, anxiety, and physical exhaustion.
- Fill your tub with the desired amount of water and the temperature of your liking,
- Add 6 to 8 drops of the essential oil making sure to swirl the water to ensure it is mixed well before getting in.
- Soak for at least 20 minutes and you will get out feeling refreshed.
Bathing with essential oils is a lovely and wonderful way to use them as your body is able to absorb them more effectively because your skin is hydrated and your pores are open.
MATERIA MEDICA: PALMAROSA ESSENTIAL OIL
Latin Name: Cymbopogon martinii
Plant Family: Poaceae
Method of extraction– steam distilled
Parts used– leaves of grass
Aroma– floral and sweet, top note
Therapeutic actions– antimicrobial, antiviral, antiseptic, digestive, gentle circulatory and nervous system stimulant, tonic, fever reducer
- Generally regarded as safe and non-toxic.
- It is not recommended to use an undiluted essential oil on your skin as over time it can cause sensitivity issues, always dilute with a carrier oil.
- It is also not recommended to take essential oils internally unless instructed to do so by a certified aroma therapist.
- Palmarosa from Floracopia: http://www.floracopeia.com/Essential-Oils/essential-oils-sub/organic-palmarosa-oil.html